Friday, December 29, 2017

Finds from the Grind - Enjoying Angeles Crest Descents


I had some fun with the descents on my route up and down from Mount Wilson on 9/30/2017.

This was another climbing day and my second time climbing all the way to Red Box without stopping. 14 miles of climbing. The reward, of course, is always the descent, and I had some fun on a few of them on the route.

At one point, I tried to get into my tuck position on Angeles Crest Hwy, which I can do on the Azusa 39, but the pavement is just too rough. It's safest just to keep hands on the handlebars.

Speaking of which, as I was coming into the fast straight run into La Canada, I was gaining ground on a bigger cyclist dressed in red. But right past a bridge that marks a psychological transition between mountain climbing and residential steeps, he just sat up and had to rest his hands. I totally get that.

For kicks, I rode past my alma mater of St. Francis to do that fun descent towards Oak Grove. The Foothill drag through La Canada Flintridge hasn't changed that much since I was a kid, but some parts just look cleaner with fresher paint. That's always nice to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.