Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Finds from the Grind - Riding Part of the Amgen ToC Final Stage Route


I rode most of the descent from Clear Creek to Pasadena for the Amgen Tour of California final stage on May 20th. About two hours before the race would go through the route, I took a look at the preparations. The barriers for street closures were placed but not set up. I saw fans start to ride up Angeles Crest Highway ready to party. One guy had a wine bottle in his jersey's back pocket!

Clear Creek, my usual first stop on the 10 mile climb up from La Canada Flintridge, was the site of the last intermediate sprint point for the race, so a lot of people were targeting that area to hang out before the riders came through at 40 mph. I went across it much slower...

Staff were also putting up the distance markers. I went through the 25 and 20 km to go signs. A fellow cyclist, much faster than I was on the descent, even took my picture.

A post shared by Joseph Morris (@joeschmo1of3) on

It was pretty fun to ride the streets I usually ride on the weekends set up for a real road race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.