Saturday, May 05, 2012

Giro Jot del Giorno - 5/5/2012

This blog has a regular feature during the summer called Tour Tidbit du Jour, which is about finding one interesting thing (at least to me) per day at the Tour de France. Only in the last couple of years has there been regular live (or semi-live) coverage in the USA of the Giro d'Italia. During those last few years, I have been watching the Giro, but without the quality of the live coverage at le Tour, I never felt I could find something to say every day.

That changed during the last year, as there is now a licensed live broadcast of the Italian feed in America. Universal Sports, during its cable broadcast, only shows the last two hours of the RAI broadcast, so there really isn't much analysis for a two hour show, or a multiple hour glut of feet turning over a pedal television shots. So, meh.

This year, after switching from DirecTV to AT&T U-verse, Universal Sports channel was a casualty of the change-over. Before, I could even take the digital broadcast over the air and plug it into my receiver box, but AT&T doesn't play nice with that, and with the huge broadband pipe I have, why pay for an additional standalone DVR? Nowadays, I have to pay a la carte for my Universal Sports coverage, and that suits me just fine.

Let's see how the Giro Jot goes then. I have to tell you, it took forever to come up with that phrase, since I couldn't  think of an alliterative equivalent to Tidbit. I needed that "juh" sound to match Giro and Giorno. Well, I got so hung up on latin and italian, that some other word for atom, component, or little bit never struck me until I thought of the greek iota, and the english bastardization of jot followed.

So, with only the third American to wear the maglia rosa with Taylor Phinney, the others being Andy Hampsten (the only American winner of the Giro) and Christian Vande Velde, we have your Giro Jot del Giorno for Stage 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.