Friday, March 07, 2008

Tough Climb, Nice View

Yesterday, I celebrated a small milestone. So, how did I reward myself today?

[Unseen Voice]: "Joe Morris, you've just put 10,000 miles on your bike. What are you going to do now?"
Joe Morris: "I'm going to add another hill to my route and call it a shortcut!"
[Unseen Voice]: ???

Technically, my ride this morning was one mile shorter. After climbing up Lida, then Figueroa, I took a hard right and climbed the backside of St. Katherine, which leads to Holy Hill. What is on top of Holy Hill? Sacred Heart Academy.


I was not expecting the climb to be so short...

You may recognize that bridge on the left from the video of the St. Katherine frontside recon. You can see how far away this hill is from Rose Bowl loop where I do my flat circuit.


With all those trees, you can barely tell there's a city supposed to be in there somewhere.

You may ask, "How exactly was this a shortcut?" Instead of going around the hill on my way back, I just went over it. From where Figueroa meets up with St. Katherine in Flintridge, normally I would have to go all the way down the hill, using Chevy Chase and Berkshire, to get back home. But with taking St. Katherine, I climb over the hill, and take the winding Inverness road back down. So, I cut a mile off my route. However, the climb was steep. It has been a long time since I have had to spin on my lowest climbing gear. A really loooong time. On the good side, I've now found my 1400 foot, 9 mile climbing route. Masochistic, moi? Nah!

1 comment:

  1. nice view. i like that. sangat indah dilihat. kalau disini, mungkin sama seperti di Lembang Bandung Jawa Barat.


    regards,
    Margahayu Land
    http://margahayuland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.