Thursday, January 11, 2007

Caffeine Helps Muscle Soreness

The bro sent me a link to a story about how coffee taken before a workout helps suppress pain, which is something that cyclists have known about for decades. The story even acknowledges that fact here: "Past studies have shown it also boosts endurance, and one experiment found caffeine reduces pain during moderate-intensity cycling." However, too much caffeine can be a bad thing, as I proved to myself on a Jitter Java Tour last year. I certainly didn't suffer from any soreness, but I did have to make more frequent pit stops, and I had the dreaded caffeine spazz-out. Not good when your average heart rate was about 175 bpm. That's normal cruising rate for me, so don't get too worried, and yes, I am a hummingbird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.