Sunday, June 18, 2006

Saturday's Big Day o' Fun (or Riding)

Yesterday, the 17th, was a long day of cycling for me.  First, because of the heat (101 degrees by 12 PM) and second, because there were two rides.  The first one was the short, but sweet climbing ride out of Griffith Park: 30 miles on the dot, rolling through Los Angeles, Burbank, Glendale, La Canada, and Montrose.  Except that I rode to Griffith Park from my house, which is exactly 15 miles.  So, that was a round trip for me of 60 miles.  I got home at 12:30 in hot, hot, hot weather.

Round 2 was at 6:45 that evening, when my friend Karen was riding her new bike around the Rose Bowl for the first time.  Her new bike is actually Mike's old bike.  In fact, Karen is borrowing a lot of stuff to get into road cycling.  Let's take a look at the list, shall we?

 

Image
  1. The helmet belongs to Ray.
  2. The jersey belongs to Mike.
  3. The shorts belong to Joe.
  4. The bike belongs to Mike.

 

So, what does Karen own?  Uh... ah!  The brown shoes you can't see in the picture.  How did Karen do on her first go around the Bowl?  She was a little slow, but this event yesterday was the first time that she had done any exercise for a few years.  At least she's motivated to do something about it.  Here I am trying to slow down as much as I can:

 

Image
Those 2 dots over my right shoulder are Mike and Karen.

 

We had a lot of fun just doing three slow laps around the Bowl.  Afterwards, we did what you're supposed to do after a ride, pig out and get sleepy!  I hope Karen keeps at it and we get another victim, er... cycling buddy for our group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.