Saturday, June 17, 2006

Don'ts for Would-Be Plagiarists

I just found this entry on a college prof's blog on how not to cheat.  Very informative stuff, especially this point:

8. Edit > Paste Special > Unformatted Text

This is my Number 1 piece of advice, even if it is numbered eight. When you copy things from the web into Word, ignoring #3 above, don’t just “Edit > Paste” it into your document. When I am reading a document in black, Times New Roman, 12pt, and it suddenly changes to blue, Helvetica, 10pt (yes, really), I’m going to guess that something odd may be going on. This seems to happen in about 1% of student work turned in, and periodically makes me feel like becoming a hermit.

I knew that this internet thingy was supposed to save time, but just like using a calculator in the 3rd grade, it doesn't really help the learning process if you don't understand the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.