Saturday, September 02, 2017

Finds from the Grind - First Climb of the Year to Mount Wilson


Here are some scenes from my climb to Mount Wilson on July 1st, my first time this year. I was amazed at how crowded the top of the mountain was, but then a few of the other cyclists up there figured it had to be a glut of hikers enjoying the 4th of July weekend. Sounded about right to me. I had to stand in line for about 20 minutes just to get my usual recovery drink of a can of Coke.

This was also the first time I climbed up to see the antennas. The roads up there are appropriately named. I climbed up Video Road and crossed Weathervane Drive and Audio Road. It's nothing but radio and TV antennas and weather stations on that mound, so those roads always give me a giggle.

I hope you enjoy the scenes of me fiddling with the mounted camera. This was the first time in 3 and a half years I changed the position of the camera to accommodate my new tuck position so my hands don't block the camera, so I still have to get used to the upside down camera on the handlebars.

A post shared by Joseph Morris (@joeschmo1of3) on

I was also surprised to hear all the noise up there. A family was apparently taking advantage of the extra height and the view to blow all the horns they had. The kids looked like they were having a lot of fun.

As for fitness, I climbed this thing pretty slow compared to last year, but I also did this same 19 mile climb 6 weeks later in the year previously. I'll have a companion video for the descent if there's anything interesting happening there besides my double groin cramping on the mile long climb back up to Clear Creek on the descent from Red Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.