Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Finds from the Grind - Glendora Mountain Road Descent



Descending Glendora Mountain Road during a heatwave. Good fun until cramps in both thighs hit near the bottom. This is the companion piece to the climbing video. You'd think all the exertion from going up this thing would give me cramps, but for me it's all about the hot weather. It was in the low 90's that day and it only got hotter the longer I stayed out there. Worse, with how curvy GMR is, I had to lock up my legs in a tucked position and press on the pedals to maintain my line through the curves. This kind of exertion is what caused my cramps instead of the steady grind of a climb. At least my legs never stop moving uphill. On a descent, I'm holding one-legged leg presses.

As a light person, I'm also pedaling as hard as I can in an aero position down the mountain. No rest for me, ever. I thought for sure that this would prevent the cramping from the leg locks, but no, they were different muscle groups. The huge knots in both upper thighs were so big, I thought I was going to rip them off the bone just by moving my legs up and down to go through an opposite corner. As soon as I hit the straightaways, they loosened up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.