Friday, June 23, 2006

Anthropological Window into 1995

I just about fell out of my chair laughing at this "news" article from The Onion.  But it was this paragraph that got me really rolling:

But the artifact reveals differences as well. According to Caspari, the find indicates that people from that era spoke a much earlier form of e-mail language alien to our own, employing the full spellings of most words, and lacking the versatility and advanced expression of smiley-face or frowny-face emoticons.

As a Gen-Xer still trying to figure out what those Gen-Yers are saying in their text messages, emails, and IM's, this little bit captured my feelings on the slight generation gap between the twenty-somethings and the thirty-somethings.  Besides, the nerd in me can't stand misspelled words (ha! lmao and rotfl).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.