Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Finds from the Grind - Griffith Park and River Trails


Some scenes from my ride through Griffith Park, the LA River Trail, and the Arroyo Seco on 1/27/2018.

There were a couple of things I wanted to check out on this ride. The first was whether I would blow up on the 10% grades that pop up right at the crest of Chevy Chase before it descends into Glendale and the Glenoaks kicker to cut across to Verdugo. No problems. Again, slow because I'm still fat and a little bit sassy, but I never felt that panic that I have to redline my heart rate to turn over the pedals. As you can see from the pair of ladies I passed on that Glenoaks hill, I'm not the only one trying to get in shape as the year starts. Also, that smaller lady must have had at least a 32 tooth ring on the back with the way she was spinning. Maybe even a triple crank.

The second thing I wanted to check out was the condition of the LA River Path and the Arroyo Seco Bike Path. It's been three months since I last saw them, so I needed to know what new "features" developed on the road surfaces. The LA River Path's entrance at Riverside is still closed, but looks like a lot of progress has been made. The homeless camp is not as big as I remember, but I'm sure it will grow as it gets warmer. And the tree root bumps in certain parts are turning into a real fine cobble sections.

The Arroyo Seco Path hadn't changed much, but the road surface for the horse ranch where it ends in South Pasadena keeps getting more and more chewed up. I think I'll check out the next Southern access point this year, just in case I need to give it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.