Thursday, December 14, 2017

Finds from the Grind - Descents and Drops


Descending and getting dropped coming down from Mount Wilson on 8/12/2017.

I've always considered myself an okay bike handler, and I've definitely improved my descending skills over the years, but being a light guy, I'll never fall like a stone down a long straight descent. On this day, I got confirmation that my view of myself matches objective reality.

Coming down from Mount Wilson, right after the little power climb past the Mt. Lowe trail head, I caught up to a cyclist who appeared to have had a mechanical problem and was just starting up again. He looked like he was taking the turns in a relaxed manner, because he never got off the tops of the brake hoods, but even then, I was barely staying on his wheel on the short straight sections.

He turned off to reconnect with this group at the Haramongkna parking lot, while I continued on. Well, about 7 minutes later, they passed me on the non-technical descent, and they weren't even pedaling. And I got passed again by some heavier riders later down the descent. So, there was proof of my descending abilities. Gravity is not my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.