Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Spring 2016 Anime Preview Notes


These are literally my notes after checking out the schedule for the Spring 2016 season. I have tentative groupings for shows I'm considering to review in the 10 Second Anime feature and shows which will probably have some nice images but not a lot to think about. I won't know if I'll have enough to write about or whether some shows will be interesting enough for me to jump from the Omake section to 10 Second Anime until after I've watched them.

The starred shows are ones I've committed to either watching because they're established titles or from top tier anime studios. Spring looks like there are many more titles that catch my eye than what happened during the Winter. We shall see how everything shakes out after the first three weeks of the season.

Update: Check below to see how my first impressions have affected my viewing schedule. Only three shows are on the bubble, but I can see them being good enough not to piss me off for the entire season.


Dropped Shows

Meh.

Endride - One episode. Too generic. Cheesy old-fashioned musical score. Animation was boring. Interesting choice to have two older male characters to make a buddy story, but didn't grab me.

Sousei no Onmyouji - (Twin Star Exorcists) One episode. It's funny and has good action but it feels way too much like a videogame and it really hits all the right notes for young teens, which is not my demographic. Also, the kids are presented as middle schoolers, again aiming for that audience.

Sakamoto Desu ga? - One episode. I felt nothing for the main character and found no interest in his antagonists trying to one-up him or tear him down. It was just a bunch of shorts strung together. Perhaps a short form anime would have been better for this flat character.

Seisen Cerberus - Two episodes. The story of young mage warrior on a mission of vengeance in a magical adventure was too generic for the uninspired art and acting to overcome. I lasted long enough to meet the booby cat lady and then I gave up.

Hundred - Two episodes. This Infinte Stratos clone with Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere art style isn't ecchi enough or funny enough to sit through.

Big Order - One episode. This show was from the same people who did Mirai Nikki (Future Diary), and it's structured almost exactly the same. Mysterious entity grants powers to insufferable main character who faces rivals with similar powers, who all suffer violence, gore and disturbed psychological problems. I wasn't a fan of Mirai Nikki, so seeing this show as another grafted clone made me not want to waste my time.

Onigiri - Two episodes. Bikini Warriors this was not.

Feh.

Mayoiga - One episode. Annoying people being annoying to each other. Not one likeable character. When the one girl vomited on the bus driver, I felt that was the reasonable response to the whole show. Opening credit song was grating. Ending credit song was forgettable. I may have enjoyed this premise as a short story to be done reading in half an hour, but not 12 weeks worth.


The Chosen Ones

Starred shows are the ones I've positively chosen to watch. If it's not dropped or starred, then I'm still deciding whether I like it or I'm just kind of watching through inertia. I suppose there might be more inertia type shows toward the middle of the season.

Check marked shows are the ones I'll be reviewing on a weekly basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.