Thursday, March 07, 2013

I have a bad feeling about this. "This" being the premise behind the next Star Wars trilogy.

In a story about how hard it was for George Lucas to give up creative control of the Lucasfilm properties, we get this detail:
At first Lucas wouldn't even turn over his rough sketches of the next three Star Wars films. When Disney executives asked to see them, he assured them they would be great and said they should just trust him. "Ultimately you have to say, ‘Look, I know what I'm doing. Buying my stories is part of what the deal is.' I've worked at this for 40 years, and I've been pretty successful," Lucas says. "I mean, I could have said, ‘Fine, well, I'll just sell the company to somebody else.'
What did we learn? George Lucas already had ideas on what the next trilogy will be about, and it concerns the main 3 characters from the first trilogy, Luke, Leia, and Han, since Lucas wanted to make sure actors from the original movies had some kind of place in the new movies.

Next, we already know from the writing for The Clone Wars animated series on Cartoon Network that Lucas cares not at all for the contributions of the authors in the expanded Star Wars universe of books, graphic novels, comic books, and video games.

Finally, we know how horrible the writing and general direction of the Star Wars prequels were, so, like Obi-Wan Kenobi, that Lucas won't be involved at all in those details might be my only hope that fans get a fair adaptation of the later events in the Star Wars universe. But since the general treatment and artistic themes would exist in sketches from Lucas himself, and it would be a grave insult from the current production staff not to incorporate them somehow, I still have a bad feeling this.

Update: I'm not the only with a bad feeling about the next trilogy, but RJ is definitely better than I am at gaming out the worst case scenarios.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.