Monday, June 14, 2010

The Ravens: An Image of Mortality

Recently, dear online friends have passed away suddenly, one last week, and one just last night. So, death and mortality has been on mind lately. I was reminded this morning, upon hearing the news of my friend's passing, of the scene I came upon this past Saturday while climbing the roads near the reservoirs in Angeles National Forest.

On the right side of the road, huddled against a stone retaining wall, was a large dead or dying common raven. It did not appear to be moving, and I thought it must have been hit by a vehicle while attending to some roadkill. As I slowly approached it (I was going up a steep climb), another raven swooped in from my left, carrying some food in its mouth, and cawing loudly and protectively. I recalled that common ravens mate for life, and the loud one must have been the injured raven's mate. As the raven shooed me away, I grimly thought of the futility of trying to feed the prone raven, as at least one of its wings looked badly crushed, and as I mentioned before, it already looked dead to me.

I'm not one to anthropomorphize, since I know most of the animal behavior we see is instinctive, not rationally decisive, and should not lend itself to a romantic view of Nature. Still, Man has Animal nature, which fully informs and influences our behavior and relationships, so I could not deny a sympathetic pang at seeing a desperate raven trying to coax to life or health its last, one true mate. So, my sympathies are echoed louder as I think of and pray for the spouses and families of my departed friends. I will miss them, and I pray their families have strength in the coming days.

2 comments:

  1. Slightly on topic: I used to be virulently 100% anti-anthropomorphism, but I've come to an arrangement with it. In all of art throughout human history, it's been in with us. Sympathy and Empathy are innate in us, and we project our own motivations onto scenes of Nature. Something as inane as Lolcats are the phenomenon that they are because of it. Anthropomorphism reinforces the sympathy and empathy within us. As long as we feel that pang, regardless of whether we can ever know the motivations of another species, we know we are human.
    I mourn our lost friends, and will miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so: feel the pang, know the fundamental reach toward the Other.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.