Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Why Don't You Exercise?

A very long entry over at Science Blog, reposted from the Psychological Science website, recounts various researchers' work on the reasons why people don't exercise when they know they should. Some key findings and theories:

  • A change in environment, and not coping well with the transition, can disrupt people's routines, which seems to account for the "freshman 15."
  • This seems true across all age groups and different environment changes, such as a new job, moving to a new area, or even a change in the seasons.
  • Self-control may be regarded as something requiring stamina, so if someone uses too much self-control in a day, such as resisting an extra snack, or controlling one's emotions, that person may feel too tired or unmotivated for the afternoon run.
  • Specific goals for exercise are more important than a vague "exercise more, eat less" formulation, since these specifics can be incorporated into a routine.
  • It's important to know if you are extraverted or introverted, since this part of your personality affects your specific intentions for exercise: energizing social event or calming alone time.

Personally, I find the routine, or scheduling of exercise as very helpful for my motivation. Also, if I'm doing a long cardio workout, such as a 65 mile ride, I prefer riding alone, since I use the cadence of my breath and exertion almost as a meditation. But if I'm going to do strength conditioning, I need other people to satisfy my competitive edge, not that I'll outlift anybody at 120 pounds, but for comparing my results. As an empiricist, I just like numbers and data, and mentally plotting curves. Yeah, I'm weird like that. Like throwing a frisbee with my brother: who had the longer throw, more accurate, prettier float; that kind of thing.

4 comments:

  1. Dude - Darn tootin' I had a kickass 'bee hover. Like watching the mothership home in on a target.

    hmm. I guess we forgot to throw the disc around when I was home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean by the meditation of cadence of breath . . . before I wrecked my knee, I ran five miles/day. The rhythm, and technique of gliding through the air, was hypnotic.

    You have inspired me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen:

    I used to run 5 miles a day too, so I remember the breathing. I also remember how it took about a mile of pain before the endorphins kicked in... Cycling is waaay easier on the joints, as long as you ride regularly enough that you get used to the pain in the ass. Really, it goes away, eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother cycles about 40 miles every weekend, and sometimes evenings during summer about 20 miles. No wonder he is cool as a cuke.

    With back pain issues, I'm not sure I could handle the impact of riding a real bike, but I have fun with the recumbent one here at the complex. But it's not enough. I need to do SERIOUS work on my exercise routine.

    WOrking Out on It . . .

    ReplyDelete

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.