Monday, July 24, 2006

Frame That Speeding Ticket!

A man was arrested in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago for endangering traffic, on in-line skates.  Was he obstructing traffic by skating in the middle of a highway?  Yes, but not in the way you would think.  According to the story, the guy was going about 56 miles an hour, by hanging on to the back of a car.  He wasn't speeding, but to my mind he was cheating.  It's a common joke among my cycling buddies that if we're ever pulled over by a cop while we're riding our bikes, it should be for speeding.  Then we would show up at traffic court, not to contest the charge, but to brag!  "Yeah, I was going 55 miles an hour down that mountain road, but the speed limit was 50.  It took a while for the motorcycle cop to get up to me since he couldn't follow me around the curves."  It's not that far-fetched: Floyd Landis was clocked at over 90 km/h on the descent towards the finish line on his epic stage 17 victory.  That's 56 miles an hour.  The cameras had to follow him with a helicopter because the curves were too dangerous for the motorcycle cameras.  Of course, that could never happen to me, I'm too light.  The wind resistance knocks me around like falling leaf, but a man can dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.