Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Beat the Rain: Chirp, Chirp

Even though we in Southern California are supposed to have seven straight days of rain, I was able to get a ride in this morning. How did I know that I would have a two hour window, when I saw threatening thunder clouds, and it had stopped raining for several hours already? Wasn't I tempting fate here? No, because I just opened my ears and heard the little birdies advertising their territory. Chirping birds (or songbirds) make their little bit of land known to the other birds around by jumping on to the longer branches and make as much noise as possible. It also means they think other birds are flying around and might be trying to steal some drowned worms in their own territory. Oh, we can't have that, now can we, little birdies? So, if you hear birds chirping, it means their instincts tell them it's safe to perch in the open sky, and that rain isn't going to be forcing them to huddle near their nests for at least an hour, and I heard the birds still chirping when I got back from my hour long ride. That's how I knew I would be safe from new rain: a little birdie told me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.