Friday, November 09, 2007

Dogfight!

I've been slowly going through the Macross episodes in chronological order. Not chronological broadcast order, but the timeline according to the story. Mind you, there have been about 12 different incarnations of Macross (or Robotech) over the last 25 years, and unfortunately, the last produced set of episodes (2003-2004) are the ones happening right before the first one in 1982. Why is that unfortunate? Think of what cartoons were like 25 years ago, and consider animation, after all the technological innovations. It's very much like watching Star Wars in chronological order. Jumping from Episode III to the production values of 1977 is jarring, as was mine in Macross episodes. All I can say is, I'm glad was only 9 or 10 when I watched Robotech on television. Back then I didn't mind the stilted dialog, odd pacing, poor plot choices. Man, I remember Captain Grover (not Global as in the poor translations) as doing his best even though he was beset by almost impossible circumstances. Seeing him now, he acts like an overpromoted suit. Oh well, I'm sure I would find the Smurfs just as annoying. Somehow, The Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain have aged very well. Whatever. Look at this cool fight scene as Roy Fokker goes up against his old flight instructor!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.