Monday, April 30, 2007

Online Forum Warning Signs

On a topic similar to a future tech hazard symbols, Cracked magazine offers some suggestions for the kiddies and techies who hang out in online forums. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to wade through these kinds of old-style bulletin board systems to find new sources for digital media, such as my helmety goodness, or for my anime and manga fixes. Yeesh, I thought flamewars were bad enough between Unix geeks arguing over which xwindows-based OS had better features, but you haven't seen anything compared to teenagers arguing over who's more Emo: Sasuke or Gaara! (Full disclosure: I believe Sasuke is more Emo because his fascination with death and dying is more personal, while Gaara just wants to kill EVERYBODY.)

For some reason, the leftist blogs had to institute a karma based flagging system. You can see what I'm talking about by going to Democratic Underground, Daily Kos, or Huffington Post. On the right, the only big-time forum that also uses these flagging features is Free Republic, but it is actually a user-based forum. No big media type blogs over there. Obviously, the sign below can't be posted, otherwise there would be no point to the websites' existences.

However, all the other ones would definitely apply. The anti-L337 sign shouldn't pop up so much anymore, since most people understand LOL, IMHO, BBIAB, ROTFL, ROFLMAO, but when you start going all H4xx0r, suxx0rs, and r0xx0rs, writing about your L337 5K!LLz, so that people have to use the H4X0R translator just to keep up with you, you've got to throw the flag.

As for my demeanor on comment sections, I'm very polite, use full English with punctuation (usually), but I do have a habit of blog-whoring, and that would definitely draw the No-Plugging flag!


4 comments:

  1. Dude - I am so going to be flagged with that last one.

    Over and over and over, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude: I thought you gave up masturbating in public...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude - heh. No arrests, no convictions equals "I have no idea what you're talking about."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hand-to-heart

    "Never indicted, yeronner."

    ReplyDelete

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.