Monday, December 18, 2006

Comic Strip Madness!

So I wake up in the morning, and the first thing I do in the kitchen after pouring a cup of coffeee, is read the funnies. Yes, I still call the Comics Pages, "the funnies."

[Begin generational rant here] In my day, comics were supposed to make you laugh, and the "serious" comics (Brenda Starr, Mary Worth, Mark Trail, etc.) were supposed to make you go "hmm" since they tied some national theme in with their story. Now we have this unfunny "funny" stuff in Boondocks, La Cucaracha, and Candorville. They don't make me go "hmm" or "heh." They make me go "tsk" or "typical." I'm sure the kids who have gone through the indoctrination protocols at expensive liberal arts colleges find them interesting because they "give a diverse voice" to the comics page. But notice, not funny, because humor does not exist from a culturally diverse point of view, unless you're making fun of white people or joooos. I don't think the multicultural crowd would find Boondocks, Candorville, or La Cucaracha funny if they knew they were written by white guys. Take note of the performative contradiction of "diversity" where you have to "know" what "race" a person is to "judge" their views and actions instead of the merit of their views or actions. Celebrating diversity is a step backwards in civil rights, and condescending of the "lesser," oops, I mean "historically oppressed" races. Not funny at all. [End generational rant]

Anyway, I found a bunch of funny stuff today in "the funnies," so enjoy!

 

Word.

 

FoxTrot courtesy of Bill Amend

 

That's not how I remember playing that game.

 

Get Fuzzy courtesy of Darby Conley

 

Monday Grinches have it tough this time of year.

 

Mutts courtesy of Patrick McDonnell

 

4 comments:

  1. I try not to automatically think "bigot" when I hear White people bitch and moan about matters of diversity, but it's really, really tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wilfred fan:

    You've proven my point about whose ideas can be judged as bigoted or not because you've assumed that I am a white person. I have no problem thinking that people from different backgrounds than mine are prejudiced because group identities usually define the "other" in relation to the group. That's pre-judgment and, unfortunately, the unintended consequence multiculturalism. Plus, I won't even let other people know "what" I am, so you can listen to my ideas without comparing them to whatever stereotypes a cultural background is supposed to have. However, I'm glad that you are withholding judging me a bigot or not, no matter how tough it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't have to assume you're a White person, genius, I looked at the photo you posted. But maybe you're just a very pale Black man with abnormally unkinky hair.

    Pre-judgement isn't some "unintended consequence of multiculturalism," it's been around since the dawn of man. What was discrimination against Blacks in America, if not "pre-judgement?" Hell, I'm sure cro magnons and neanderthals pre-judged each other all the time, and it didn't take whatever you consider to be "multiculturalism" for them to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wilfred Fan:

    You're still assuming I'm white even when looking at my picture. That's judging by the color of my skin. Sorry, still not white, but not a Black man.

    But you echo my point, that prejudice is historical. My other point is that multiculturalism is an ideology that was meant to counter that prejudice, but in its practice has only highlighted the differences between cultures and caused resentment between them. One might argue that multiculturalism has brought latent resentment to light, but it's not something I've seen in my personal experience, though others have spoken and written more eloquently and forcefully from theirs. But just regular prejudice, yeah, I've seen it from many different different cultures towards each other, and I don't think the flavor of corporate or collegiate multiculturalism helps combat it.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.