Thursday, August 24, 2006

Tea! Feh!

A story about tea, from the Brits of course, extols its health benefits and rehydrative properties, but, so what? All it's supposed benefits come the health catch-all du jour: antioxidants. And it rehydrates because, get this, it's made of mostly water! Wow! Just more debunking of caffeine as a diuretic in the small amounts that exist in a cup of coffee or tea. But here's the quote that made me almost spit out my liver cirrhosis preventing, diabetes kicking, rich loam-colored sip of coffee: "'Also, a cup of tea contains fluoride, which is good for the teeth,' she [Dr. Carrie Ruxton] added." Brits need to drink more tea because it has fluoride? We already know that the British water system does not add fluoride like we do here in America. Some say it's a stereotype, but others say it's a generalization that the Brits have bad teeth. I'm just glad I do my coffee swilling here in America, well, at least California.

2 comments:

  1. I've been to England. They need the floride. Really. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived there for three months while taking a semester in Oxford. You ain't kidding, and I'm speaking from up, close, and personal experience.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.