Friday, July 21, 2006

Trial Lawyers Know We Know They're Scum... Huh?

While reading through the Fox News commentary sections (yes, it can be argued that all of Fox News is commentary, now go on back to the New York Times commentary... oh, right, you've got to pay for that now, so sorry!) I found this item on the Association of Trial Lawyers of America changing their name.  They now want to be called American Association for Justice, apparently admitting that people don't want to be reminded of what they do for a living: suing people for money, introducing "scientific evidence" to juries, and winning loads of money in torts and class action suits where their fees are usually 50 percent of the judgments.

A while back, some class action suit junk mailed me about a suit against a bank for sending out pre-approved credit cards while I was an undergraduate student.  I destroyed the card and thought nothing of it for ten years.  Then this piece of mail arrived and I was reminded of all the credit cards that were sent to me long ago.  So, I signed my name to the petition, thinking my odds of getting some money were better than the lottery.  About a year later, I did get a check, for $1.29.  Starbucks here I come!  If you want to get your dander up about civil action suits and tort reform, but don't want to get eye glaze from lawyer speech, crack open John Grisham's King of Torts.  I'm shuddering from the memory of the greasy portrayals right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't comment on posts more than 4 years old. They will be deleted.